Education and Training
NRHA Training Program
The WRLA has partnered with the North American Retail Hardware Association to provide the Independent dealers in Western Canada added product knowledge and training courses.
All courses are available online for employees to take according to their own schedules. What you get with your NRHA Membership: As a member of the NRHA you have unlimited access to a number of valuable training and information resources provided through the members-only portion of NRHA.org These include:
NRHA's Basic Training Series
NRHA's new Basic Training Course in Hardware Retailing and Basic Training Course in Building Materials Retailing are comprehensive product knowledge training programs that include coursework, testing, instant grading feedback and a complete progress report for each student enrolled from your business. You get a fully administered training program up and running with very little effort. And, best of all, you can train an unlimited number of students at no additional cost. These courses are designed to help both new and existing retail sales associates gain the confidence they need to be successful on the sales floor or out in the lumber yard.
Forklift Operator Safety Training
In compliance with OH & S Regulations, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba
One day course complete with theory and practical instruction. Learn fundamentals of lift truck operation with a written examination and a driving evaluation
- Receive a wall mount diploma and wallet size Operator Permit card upon successful completion
- Maximum of 20 rebates per company per year
- Cancellation Policy: You must notify Cervus Equipment (formerly A.R. Williams) at least 72 hours prior to course or a $50.00 cancellation fee will be assessed. Effective January 1, 2013
- Contact the Cervus Equipment (formerly AR Williams) closest to you for course details - see contact information below!
Forklift - Train the Trainer
The “Train the Trainer” program is available for WRLA member companies looking to be proactive in their own facilities.
The Cervus Equipment training programs are tailored to your specific application with flexibility as to venue and timing.
- Maximum of one rebate per company per year
- CANCELLATION POLICY: You must notify Cervus Equipment at least 72 hours prior to course or a $50.00 cancellation fee will be assessed.
- Effective January 1, 2013
Questions? Call Susan or Lannie at the WRLA office at 1-800-661-0253
Education Member Rebate Program
Due to the wide distribution of members across the prairies, the north and NW Ontario, member rebates are available to offset the cost of travel and expenses to attend these courses. Please note that courses must be paid in full by course date, and rebate forms sent to the WRLA office no later than 30 days from course completion date.
WRLA EDUCATION COURSE Fee Summary
- ONE DAY COURSE - $289 WRLA MEMBER
- ONE DAY COURSE - $389 WRLA NON-MEMBER
- TWO DAY COURSE - $578 WRLA MEMBER
- TWO DAY COURSE - $778 WRLA NON-MEMBER
CRBSC / WRLA Manual Estimating Program
The program is structured on a progressive basis, starting with Estimating Fundamentals - Decks and Garages, Estimating for Residential Construction and ending with a Advanced Estimators Forum. There will be an exam and certificate awarded at the end of each level. Upon completion of the three core courses the student will be awarded a "Professional Estimator" certificate.
Estimating Fundamentals - Decks and Garages (2-day course)
- Applying math to estimating - thought processes
- Estimate vs. Quotation
- Dimensional lumber and basic building material components
- Understanding roofs and pitch
- Detached garage material estimating
- Understanding hip roofs or hip roof basics.
A step-by-step workbook is included and is yours to keep for future reference.
There will be a examination at the end of this course.
Estimating for Residential Construction (2-day course)
To participate in this course, you should have completed the Estimating Fundamentals or should have experience with small project estimating at the customer service counter, or job-site experience in residential construction.
- Quotations vs. Estimate
- Structural Specifications
- Math Skills Review
- Understanding roofs
- Calculating waste factors
- Reading and understanding blueprints
- Getting started with your "take-off"
- Checklist of building materials for take-off
- Foundation, Beam, Floor system, Stairs, Exterior walls, Interior walls, Roof system
- Exterior finish and Interior components
- Qualifying your customers
- Estimating strategies
- Estimating tables and charts
- A step-by-step workbook is included and is yours to keep for future reference.
- There will be a examination at the end of this course
Advanced Estimating (1-day course)
To participate in this course you must have completed Estimating for Residential Construction.
Advanced house estimating covers various advanced scenarios that an estimator will encounter in the field. This course gives the student estimators an open forum to discuss “tricky” house plans and general concerns in the field. Practical exercises will be completed on the various sections for hands on training purposes.
A step-by-step workbook is included and is yours to keep for future reference. There will be a examination at the end of this course.
Retail Business Management Studies Program
- Module One - Management Skills - The Manager's Toolkit
- Module Two - HR Management - Unraveling the Mystery of People Management
- Module Three - Financial Management
- Module Four - Inventory Management
- Module Five - Strategic Marketing
- Module Six - Purchasing
Plumbing & Electrical Seminars with Bob Sutherland
The purpose of these “how to” seminars is to increase the product knowledge and comfort level of anyone in a position of having direct contact with customers in the store. Having knowledgeable, trained staff working for you will allow your business to provide even better exceptional customer service.
Yard Foreman: Operations Manager
Participants will learn the importance of a well-managed yard, storage and delivery operations in the retail building supply business.
Participants will understand the impact of yard operations on the bottom line.
Participants will look at the principles of efficient warehouse and yard layout.
This course will cover all aspects of the job – from inventory management, use of equipment, work-place safety – to customer service and employee management
Installed Sales is becoming more prominent in many retail operations. It offers a viable alternative to the reduction in margins, which the industry has seen in the last few years. In order to successfully evaluate Installed Sales and its feasibility for your company, it is necessary to understand: personnel structures, systems and policies, organization and management, advertising and promotion.
This full day, educational workshop, addresses these core issues and more. Research shows the home improvement and remodelling markets now equal or exceed new home construction in many areas. Consequently, a vast, less volatile market is waiting for aggressive dealers. Additionally, many new home builders are looking for a dealer who offers their products installed. This has proven to ease the search for qualified sub-contractors, provides stable pricing and quality installations. These trends have resulted in many retail dealers offering installation services to their customers, both retail and new construction.