Education and Training
Education Member Rebate Program
Due to the wide distribution of members across the prairies, the north and NW Ontario, member rebates are available to offset the cost of travel and expenses to attend these courses. Please note that courses must be paid in full by course date, and rebate forms sent to the WRLA office no later than 30 days from course completion date.
WRLA EDUCATION COURSE Fee Summary
- ONE DAY COURSE - $289 WRLA MEMBER
- ONE DAY COURSE - $389 WRLA NON-MEMBER
- TWO DAY COURSE - $578 WRLA MEMBER
- TWO DAY COURSE - $778 WRLA NON-MEMBER
Rebate Forms - click on the form to download
Retail Business Management Studies Program
Module One - Management Skills - The Manager's Toolkit
Module Two - HR Management - Unraveling the Mystery of People Management
Module Three - Financial Management
Module Four - Inventory Management
Module Five - Strategic Marketing
Module Six - Purchasing
Click here to Register for Purchasing & or Inventory Management
WRLA Manual Estimating Program
The program is structured on a progressive basis, starting with Estimating Fundamentals - Decks and Garages, Estimating for Residential Construction and ending with a Advanced Estimators Forum. There will be an exam and certificate awarded at the end of each level. Upon completion of the three core courses the student will be awarded a "Professional Estimator" certificate.
See below for dates, location and registration details
Level 1: Estimating Fundamentals - Decks and Garages (2-day course)
- Applying math to estimating - thought processes
- Estimate vs. Quotation
- Dimensional lumber and basic building material components
- Understanding roofs and pitch
- Detached garage material estimating
- Understanding hip roofs or hip roof basics.
A step-by-step workbook is included and is yours to keep for future reference.
There will be a examination at the end of this course.
Level 2: Estimating for Residential Construction (2-day course)
To participate in this course, you should have completed the Estimating Fundamentals or should have experience with small project estimating at the customer service counter, or job-site experience in residential construction.
- Quotations vs. Estimate
- Structural Specifications
- Math Skills Review
- Understanding roofs
- Calculating waste factors
- Reading and understanding blueprints
- Getting started with your "take-off"
- Checklist of building materials for take-off
- Foundation, Beam, Floor system, Stairs, Exterior walls, Interior walls, Roof system
- Exterior finish and Interior components
- Qualifying your customers
- Estimating strategies
- Estimating tables and charts
- A step-by-step workbook is included and is yours to keep for future reference.
- There will be a examination at the end of this course
Level 3: Advanced Estimating (1-day course)
To participate in this course you must have completed Estimating for Residential Construction.
Advanced house estimating covers various advanced scenarios that an estimator will encounter in the field. This course gives the student estimators an open forum to discuss “tricky” house plans and general concerns in the field. Practical exercises will be completed on the various sections for hands on training purposes.
A step-by-step workbook is included and is yours to keep for future reference. There will be a examination at the end of this course.
REGISTER NOW for one, two or three levels
Click on the location below to register online
Edmonton, AB (click on Edmonton to register online)
- March 2 & 3 Level 1 - Estimating Fundamentals – Decks & Garages
- March 4 & 5 Level 2 – Estimating for Residential Construction
- March 6 Level 3 – Advanced Estimating
Winnipeg, MB (click on Winnipeg to register online)
- March 16 & 17 Level 1 - Estimating Fundamentals – Decks & Garages
- March 18 & 19 Level 2 – Estimating for Residential Construction
- March 20 Level 3 – Advanced Estimating
Principles of Yard and Warehouse Operations
A one day course to focus on the principles to successfully operate a building center yard or warehouse.
Learn the key principles of; professional leadership, efficient inventory management and logistics, customer service, staffing management, yard layout, equipment and safety elements.
There is a recognition of the different yard sizes in the discussions and each participant will be challenged to create the steps necessary to move forward in their setting.
NRHA Training Program
The WRLA has partnered with the North American Retail Hardware Association to provide the Independent dealers in Western Canada added product knowledge and training courses.
All courses are available online for employees to take according to their own schedules. What you get with your NRHA Membership: As a member of the NRHA you have unlimited access to a number of valuable training and information resources provided through the members-only portion of NRHA.org These include:
NRHA's Basic Training Series
NRHA's new Basic Training Course in Hardware Retailing and Basic Training Course in Building Materials Retailing are comprehensive product knowledge training programs that include coursework, testing, instant grading feedback and a complete progress report for each student enrolled from your business. You get a fully administered training program up and running with very little effort. And, best of all, you can train an unlimited number of students at no additional cost. These courses are designed to help both new and existing retail sales associates gain the confidence they need to be successful on the sales floor or out in the lumber yard.